This is my second year of baking for Chinese New Year! It’s a bit shame to tell you that I have only started in baking(seriously) in less than 2 years ago and I hope that this isn’t too late for a nearly 40-year old woman like me to pick up such interest, hahaha!
Last year, I baked Kuih Bahulu and this year, I baked Kuih Bahulu again, reason is in my memory of the celebration of CNY in
, it is something that I
must have during this special festival! Malaysia
Homemade Kuih Bahulu are best to be eaten when they are freshly out of the oven as the outer layer is crispy and the cake is soft. Once they have cooled down, they are a bit dry and I prefer to heat up these little cakes in the microwave for a few seconds(each cake about 5-6 seconds in the microwave) so they will become soft again. Alternatively, I will dip them in the milo/coffee.
连续两年都收到了Angie@My Mum’s Cake House寄来的贺年卡，再次谢谢她！每一年的这个时候，她是特别地忙！希望她忙得开心，年饼定单可以破去年的纪录！
For 2 consecutive years, Angie@My Mum’s Cake House has sent me a Chinese New Year greeting card. Thanks to her again! Every year, this is the busiest time for her, hopefully her biscuit business can break last year’s record!
I’m submitting this post to Chinese New Year Delights 2013 organised by Sonia@Nasi Lemak Lover.
Kuih BahuluRecipe Source: Joceline@Butter, Flour and Me who uses the recipe from 《最想吃的。。。街坊美食》
Makes about 42
110g Caster Sugar
150g Flour, sifted
1/2tsp Baking Powder
1. Preheat oven to 200C.
2. Beat egg and sugar until ribbon stage.
3. In a separate bowl, mix flour and baking powder together. Add flour in (2) slowly and mix until well-combined.
4. Heat up the kuih's mould in the oven for a minute or less, remove, oil properly, then use a spoon to fill up the mould with batter slowly up to 70-80% full.
5. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until light golden or when a cake tester is inserted into the cake, it comes out clean.
6. Use a tooth pick to remove the cake and cool on a wire rack.
7. Repeat until all the batter is used.
It would be good if you have few spares of kuih moulds ready so you don’t have to clean the mould each time after baking!
PS: Thanks to the special one who gave me this floral fabric!