Pages

Friday, 23 March 2012

Heart-Shaped Tuna&Corn Buns 心型吞拿玉米面包



Hello all, at last, I have taken my laptop back but the sad news is some of the files are lost & the computer technician is trying his best to help me to retrieve some of the photos that I’ve taken recently & they are mainly my cooking photos which I haven’t been posted on my blog, sigh, anyway, it’s Friday & let me share with you this yummy Heart-Shaped Tuna & Sweet Corn Buns, ok?

I made these buns on last weekend.  It is a love at first sight recipe when I saw it from Li Shuan(Helena’sKitchen) blog in Jan/Feb.  I still remember I told her that she should have made this on Valentine’s Day for her hubby due to the shape of the buns. 

By the way, I took her advice by letting my bread maker to do the jobs like dough mixing, kneading & 1st proofing, then take the dough out to remove air bubbles, shaping & finish by last proofing in the oven.  If it wasn’t her idea to use the bread maker, I think this little wonder would still be abandoned by me in my store room.  Bought this bread maker over 5 years ago & I haven’t been using it for over 5 years too, why? Because the urge of buying it came after my ex-colleague offered me with some of her lovely scones. She also gave me some of the bread & scone recipes but sadly this interest only lasted for a month & after using it for 3 or 4 times, I wasn’t keen enough to continue in baking. That was the time before I has my elder child.

So, do you want to try this Asian-flavoured buns? They taste quite good, in fact, better than BreadTop buns, haha. Made 8 of them & gave 4 to my parents-in-law.

Heart-Shaped Tuna&Sweet Corn Buns:
心型吞拿玉米麵包:
Makes 8:
(Using Helena’s Kitchen & Carol 自在生活 Recipes with minor adjustments)
(A) Buns Ingredients:
270g Bread/High Gluten Flour, sifted
30g Pure Cake Flour/Low Gluten Flour, sifted
1/2tsp Instant Dried Yeast
35g Caster Sugar
Pinch of Salt
50g Egg + Some extra for brushing
150ml Milk
30g Unsalted Butter, soften at room temperature

(B) Topping Ingredients:
1 Canned Tuna in Spring Water(95g)
¼ Brown Onion, sliced
1tbsp Corn Kernels, cooked
1-2tbsp Mayonnaise
Parsley, finely chopped
***Mix (B) ingredients in a bowl.Keep them fresh in the fridge***

Method:
1. Place all (A) ingredients, except butter in the bread maker. Select “Dough” mode & press start. My machine takes 1 & ½ hour to mix, knead & finish the 1st proof, so 10 minutes after pressing the start button, I add in butter.  If you are using electric mixer(with dough hook), add the butter after the dough has become smooth which takes about 5 minutes.
2. After finish the 1st proof, remove the dough & place on a non-stick baking tray/lightly floured surface. Press the dough gently with hand to remove air bubbles.
NOTE:
If you are using the electric mixer, knead the dough till it becomes smooth, glossy & elastic. It is ready when you pull out a small portion of the dough, it  forms a thin transparent sheet like bubble gum/face mask.  Oil a bowl, add in dough & cover with a cling wrap. Place in a warm place to do 1st proofing which takes about 50minutes-1 hour. Click here to check whether the proofing is finished.
3. Divide & cut the dough into 8 equal portions. Roll individual dough into balls. Spray with some water & cover with cling wrap. Rest for 15 minutes.
4. Lightly oil your hand & a rolling pin.  Use the rolling pin to roll out each dough into oval shape(about 15cm long). Flip over & place the long side towards you. Roll up the dough like swiss roll.
NOTE:
Each time when you roll up, use your fingers to press the dough firmly.See below to get a clearer picture.


5. When finish, gently roll the dough to make a nice looking hotdog-shape. Place the “closing edge” facing down. Use a knife to cut the dough in the middle, leaving few centimerers(cm) uncut.
6. Open up the cut dough in “V” shape. Fold 1 side to the uncut section. Fold the other side to make a heart shape. Place the heart-shaped dough on a lined baking tray. Repeat till all other dough are shaped.


7. Spray with some water. Cover the tray with cling wrap. Proof for 50-60minutes.
NOTE:
I placed them in the middle level of my oven with door closed & leaving 2 bowls of hot waters underneath.
8. When finish,remove the tray. Turn on the oven at 165C(fan-forced). Spread the (B) topping ingredients evenly in the middle of the buns, leaving the edge untouched.  Brush the edge with beaten egg.
9. Bake for 18-20 minutes or untill golden.
TIP:If some of the buns are browning more than others during the process of baking, change their positions to give an evenly browning.
All right,here comes the end of this posting. I hope you will have a lovely weekend! Take care!